On June 20, 2019, Desjardins Group revealed that the personal information of 2.9 million Desjardins clients (2.7 million personal members and 173,000 business members) was disclosed to individuals outside Desjardins without authorization. For more information about this breach, please consult Desjardins’s website: https://desjardins.com/ca/personal-information/index.jsp.
MD Financial Management Inc. (MD) can confirm that it is not affected by the Desjardins breach.
However, if you have been affected by the Desjardins breach and would like to request additional security precautions for your MD accounts, please contact your MD Advisor*.
If you are interested in learning more about how MD safeguards your personal information and what steps you can take to further protect yourself from identity theft or fraud, please consult the information below.
At MD, we take safeguarding your personal information seriously.
MD’s security practices for online messaging:
- MD does not communicate personal information via email.
- MD has developed its secure online portal, MyMD, as a resource for clients and their financial management team to communicate securely. To obtain a MyMD account, please sign up at https://login.mdm.ca/account/login.
- MD also uses secure communications tools, such as ShareFile.
For more information about MD’s online security practices, please consult https://md.ca/online-security.
What to do if you suspect your email account has been compromised or your personal information has been exposed:
- If your email account has been compromised or if your personal information has been exposed due to an external event (i.e., your financial institution was hacked and you need to update your information with MD), please reach out to your MD Advisor as soon as possible.
- If you are dealing with an urgent matter where you believe your MD account has been breached and there is a risk of identity theft, please call MD’s Privacy Breach Hotline (1 800 335-1835). For additional information, please consult: https://md.ca/privacy-breach.
For more information on the steps you can take to protect yourself, please consult https://md.ca/online-security.
Additional resources on information to prevent fraud and protect your identity:
We always take the utmost care to provide our clients with the highest level of privacy, service and support. If you have any questions or would like to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact your MD Advisor or MD’s Privacy Office at privacy-MD@md.ca.
About MD Financial Management Inc.
With 50 years of physician-focused experience, MD has one main goal: to help Canada’s physicians achieve financial well-being. MD had $50 billion in assets under administration as of July 5, 2019 and is dedicated to serving Canada’s physicians and their families. MD provides financial products and services, the MD Family of Funds and investment counselling services through the MD Group of Companies. For a detailed list of these companies, visit md.ca.
External Communications Manager
* MD Advisor refers to an MD Management Limited Financial Consultant or Investment Advisor (in Quebec), or an MD Private Investment Counsel Portfolio Manager.