At the start of this year, I shared our plans to create the MD Physician Council — a first-of-its-kind initiative for MD Financial Management, designed to advise us on our product offerings and help us better understand the pain points that physicians experience throughout their careers. The goal: to ensure that you feel completely confident about our path forward and that we prioritize what matters most to you.
It’s been an exciting few months with incredible momentum and support for the concept. In fact, more than 1,000 physicians from coast to coast expressed interest in joining the council. Thank you to everyone who responded to our survey and who took the time to let us know what we’re doing well, where we can improve and what should be on the agenda for council meetings in the months to come.
I’m thrilled to announce today that our plan on paper has become a reality, and the 9 physicians who will form the inaugural MD Physician Council are officially on board. They are a diverse, engaged group of physicians who were selected based on many factors, including their interest in MD and belief in our mission; the diversity of their attitudes, interests, specialties and financial knowledge; their practice location in Canada; and where they sit within the physician life cycle.
Meet your 2019 MD Physician Council:
- Christian Finley, MD, MPH, FRCSC, Thoracic Surgery, Hamilton, Ont.
- Jean-Michel Guay, MD, PGY-3, Internal Medicine, Gatineau, Que.
- Darcy Johnson, BSc, MD, CCFP, FCFP, Family Medicine, Winnipeg, Man.
- Kevin Lee, BSc, MD, Vascular Surgery, Vancouver, B.C.
- Erika Mehl, MD, CCFP, Family Medicine, Langley, B.C.
- Frank Papanikolaou, MD, FRCSC, Urology, Toronto, Ont.
- Stephanie Perry, MD, FRCPC, Pediatrics, Moncton, N.B.
- Hortense Nsoh Tabien, MD, MPH, PhD, Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Saskatoon, Sask.
- Janet Tootoosis, BSc, MD, CFPC, FCFP, Family Medicine, Battleford, Sask.
The council will hold three face-to-face meetings per year, with the first meeting taking place this October in Ottawa. The agenda is currently being developed, but the feedback you provided on the MD Physician Council survey will definitely inform the structure of the discussion. Stay tuned for more information, including a web page where we’ll provide detailed updates from each meeting.
All of us at MD are excited to learn from and collaborate with our MD Physician Council members, each of whom is committed to ensuring your voice is reflected in their recommendations. We, in turn, are committed to transparency and look forward to sharing how we plan to act on their feedback in the months to come.